How to Prepare for a Wildfire
- If you are in a fire-prone area, preparing your property before the season will help.
- Create a 30-100 foot safety zone around your property in which flammable vegetation is consistently cleared.
- Regularly clean roof, gutters and chimneys.
- Install smoke detectors on your property, especially near bedrooms. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least twice a year.
- Keep handy household items that can be used as fire tools such as a rake, axe, chain saw, bucket and shovels.
- Have several garden hoses long enough to reach any area of your property and surrounding vegetation.
- Keep a ladder that will reach the roof.
- When building or renovating, install electrical lines underground, if possible.
- Use tile, stucco, metal siding, brick, concrete block, rock, or other fire-resistant materials on roofs.
- Use only thick, tempered safety glass in large windows and sliding glass doors.